Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Auntie Colleen's Blog

This is priceless and so I present:


Shaun walked out the front door this morning to see an owl with a huge wingspan disappear around the corner of the house. Later we went looking for him, only to find him in the tree outside our window, perfectly framed for a photo. Or 100. Less than 20 feet away, right at eye level. He saw us right away and kept a close eye on us for about an hour, after which he seemed to decide we were pretty harmless and boring. He stayed all day, until just before dark.


 
One of the squirrels took great exception to him, ran at him, practically touching him at times. The owl totally ignored her, as well as a nuthatch and cardinal that rushed him. I was holding my breath since owls eat squirrels and birds. Sometimes he slept. He winked at me twice.
 
He is a Barred Owl. Also known as a Hoot Owl. Sometimes mistakenly called a Bard Owl. Bard Owl! So of course I named him Shakespeare.
 
I did not see Shakespeare today, and the feeder activity went back to normal. However, as Shaun and I were eating dinner, we heard the unmistakeable sound of hooting in the cedar trees outside the window.
 
He's pretty amazing but I don't want any of my furry or feathered friends hurt. I guess you can't teach an owl to become a vegetarian. 
 
 And that is Auntie Colleen's blog!

1 comment: