Sunday, August 23, 2009

Popcorn

Okay - does anyone recognize this pattern? A few years ago this was my signature knitting pattern. It seemed that everyone wanted popcorn stitch outfits for their babies. It appears now that baby styles have changed. It is stylish now to dress babies like very small adults instead of the more traditional outfits that were popular a few years back. So, I haven't done any popcorn stitch for quite a while. While we were in Florida last winter I bought a couple of nice sundresses that I am really fond of. On really, really hot summer days they are cooler and more comfy than slacks for work, but with the air conditioner at the office and my less than youthful body, I feel the need for a cover-up of some sort. Great-gramma Robert lives in an extended care facility and enjoys knitting dishcloths as a way to pass the time. Apparently, another resident who saw her knitting frequently, gave her a bag of yarn. Unfortunately for Great-gramma Robert, and fortunately for me, the yarn wasn't cotton and therefore not suitable for dishcloths. So - yep - you guessed it, I became the recipient of the bag of yarn. You saw some of it on the two circle sweaters (I know, I know, pictures will follow "soon".). It was the beige boucle on the outer ring and sleeves of the first sweater, and the smallest ring on the second sweater. In my quest to make a cover-up suitable to wear with my sundresses, I made another foray into that bag of yarn. I found a lovely cotton/acrylic blend in a soft grey shade (I know - it looks blue in the picture, but trust me it is actually grey) mixed with white and decided it would be perfect for my project. I started following a pattern in feather and fan, which I love - but didn't seem to suit the yarn at all - the yarn was too limp and the pattern didn't compliment the texture either. So after working about 8 inches I decided it was just not right and did the frog thing - you know - rippit, rippit, rippit. Then I started over in a pattern I am familiar with and this is the result. I have about six inches done now in the popcorn stitch and am liking it much better.

Here is little Munchie on his last visit to see Nanna and Poppa. He hadn't been up very long - as you can see he still has his jammies on. Most people are kinda grumpy early in the morning, but as you can see he was a happy little guy already. I have lots of pictures from that visit and will post more later. It is amazing how much the little guy has changed and learned in just 10 short months! He is climbing and exploring and making a variety of sounds which indicate he is wanting to talk to us, and I think he is going to be a real chatterbox when he learns how.


Another example of the beauty to be discovered in Auntie Colleen's backyard. This one was entitled "Wild Rose" and that explains it all. She tells me that they are quite prolific this year and that she has more than usual. As the summer draws to an end here in our part of the world, a lot of my flowers are past their prime, but Auntie Colleen seems to have flowers appearing at various times during the warm weather.

Before the recent hot spell, Poppa and I went for a lovely long walk one day, starting at our local park. I thought this was a particularly appealing spot. It is called the Memorial Garden and is dedicated to local heroes who died in the service of our great country. Poppa and I stopped there for a few moments to remember not just those who died in foreign countries, but our own fathers, who both served during the Second World War and came back home. Both are watching Munchkin from heaven now - and we miss them. May they rest in peace.

When Taffy heard that Mummum and Daddad were coming for a visit last weekend, she decided to put on her tutu so Mummum could give her another ballet lesson. We all thought she looked absolutely adorable. Poppa carefully tied the ribbons on her ballet slippers, and she was all set. She practised her plie, fine-tuned her develope and finally mastered the splits. Then she tried a few pirouettes and a grand jette. Mummum declared that she had gotten quite good and they agreed to have another lesson when Mummum comes for another visit.


Remember that Rose of Sharon bush that Poppa planted about a month (or so) ago? Here is how it looked last week. It actually has about twice as many flowers now and is putting on a fine show. Unlike the other plants in our flower beds, it is showing off its best this late in the season. It is so nice to look out the back door and see those pretty flowers brightening up the day.

1 comment:

  1. Bwah! Rippit! Rippit!

    I love the popcorn stitch. It makes me think of pretty baby clothes. I look forward to the cover up progress.

    The Rose of Sharon is beautiful.

    I hope MumMum appreciated Taffy's efforts *g*.

    ReplyDelete