Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Follow-Up Visit

First, let me fill you in on the weekend.  On Saturday Poppa had another spurt of energy....
...and finished painting the stairway to the basement.  It looks lovely - after 20 years, we now have colour on those walls!  He wasn't quite satisfied with the finish on the one wall, so on Sunday he gave it a second coat - then fell asleep for the rest of the day - after sleeping until about noon in the morning.  But, he was pleased with himself because he got it done.  While he was sleeping I finished Munchie's socks....
.........that should keep him happy for a little while.  I'll make him some more when I'm in Florida.

So.........yesterday Poppa had a doctor's appointment to follow-up on his recovery from the meningitis.  Our family doctor is on vacation, so he was checked out by another physician.  The alternate doctor seemed very thorough and asked a lot of questions.  When Poppa explained about being so tired, the doctor said that was normal and would probably last another couple of weeks - with some improvement - just like we were noticing.  Then Poppa mentioned that he seemed to be out of breath sometimes when he went up the stairs.  Hmmmm.  This led to a paper to take to the emergency department for a lot of tests.  Ok - we arrive at the ED about 4:15pm.  About 5:11 they call Poppa in.  Since he is just going for tests, I wait in the waiting room.  At 6:15pm I headed out to the car to put more money in the machine - which bought me an all night ticket - so the parking was good.  At 8:30pm I still have no news and I don't see Poppa coming out, so I decide to go and ask.  They tell me to go on in.  Imagine my surprise when I find out that he is in the same isolation room where I found him before his hospital stay!  Oh Dear!  It turns out that they were keeping him on a monitor to watch his pulse and blood pressure for an extended period of time.  They were on the alert for clots caused by being mostly in bed for 14 days, and also for heart irregularities due to his history of problems in that area.  I am very happy to report, that they found no problems or indications of such - so at 10:20 we left the ED and headed to McDonald's for something to eat!  Poppa had slept until it was time to go to his doctor appointment, but stayed awake from then until bedtime - a long time for him since his illness - but a good indicator for his recovery.  I think just being told that everything was alright cheered him considerably, since we were both a little concerned by his sleepiness!  In the meantime, while I was waiting in the ED all that time, I managed to get a good start on another pair of socks for Granny!  And...since I had finished Munchie's socks ... I started another project at home......
.......this is the jacket for a stroller set for Uncle Ernie's newest tiny grandson, Jack.  I am just starting the leggings now.

2 comments:

  1. You had me holding my breath! I'm so glad everything turned out well. I bet that McD's tasted especially good.
    Munchie's socks are so cute. Jack's (love that name) jacket is gorgeous. Can't wait to see the rest of the set.
    Keep healing Phil. Be patient and kind with yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally got to read your post. i am so happy to hear that he is getting better. please keep us posted. love yous' becky whitey and boys

    ReplyDelete