Wednesday, March 24, 2010

After the Visit - or - Poppa Does Laundry

The day following the departure of our guests, I threw the sheets and towels in the laundry.  The View came on and Poppa went to put them into the dryer....sounds good so far - right?  He disappeared into the laundry area and soon came back out to the living room to ask how the powdered detergent got into the fabric softener dispenser.  Of course, I had no idea - I use liquid.  It had been there since we arrived.  I had tried to get the cup off to clean it, but it wouldn't budge...and I had forgotten to mention it to Poppa-Fix-It.  All right he says and disappears into the laundry area again.  Pretty soon I hear the dryer running so I assume all is well.  After a few minutes I realize that he should be back out by now, so at the next commercial I sneak in there to see what is going on....
Well....there he is scraping the scudgey stuff from around the rim of the washer lid - which incidentally is no longer attached to the washer at this point.  I peek into the washer and it is perfectly clean - no powdered detergent in the fabric dispenser any more!

Whoohoo!  What a nice job he did.  Next time I looked the washer was all back together and looking like new again.

While I was watching the View I started Auntie Colleen's first silly sock, since I had finished Kev-Inn's second one.  Now he has a pair...what?  I know, I know, they don't match - they're silly!

And by this evening I had one of Auntie Colleen's silly socks finished too....

Later in the day, after the washing machine renewal, Poppa headed in to empty the dryer (I can't remember what I was doing?).  He decided after removing the sheets and towels so I could fold, put away and/or remake that the dryer needed cleaning out too!  He thought the pipes were getting clogged with lint... so....

.... the dryer was pulled out to allow access to the flexible vent pipe in behind it.  And,

the back came off the dryer to allow access to the interior vent pipes - and to remove any lint getting near the motor and stuff in there.  Then,

it was all carefully put back together again and pushed back into place.  He then started cleaning up the linty mess he had made....this is what he got.

At this point, he declared the laundry facilities to be ready for the next wash day.

But, that was a few days ago.  This afternoon he went golfing, after a dip in the pool, so I decided to get out my knitted lace pieces and get them ready for dispatch to Auntie Colleen.  Here is the Lattice piece that I promised a picture of earlier.....

This one needed a lot of pressing, and I'm still not totally satisfied with it...I'm convinced there must be another pattern for lattice-type lace that would turn out smoother, without so much work.  It really should have been dampened and stretched across and down - especially at the bottom, but I just didn't have the equipment or the space here to do that - so hopefully Auntie Colleen can doctor it up a bit when she gets it.  This piece is packaged up and ready to go now, it is about 12 inches long.  These are the other three pieces that are ready to go.....

...the top one is the Rosebud, the centre one is Diamond and the bottom one is made-up....let's call it Trolley Lace.  Auntie Colleen got the Hilton Lace (the first one I made) earlier this week and proclaimed it acceptable (actually she was very enthusiastic about it).  Hopefully she will like these as well.  I am working on Dundee Lace now, it looks like this....

It is quite deep, but it is very fun to do.  Just to give you an idea - it takes about 3/4 of an hour to do one complete pattern repeat - and that time just flies!  So if you're ever bored and wanting time to fly - just start doing knitted lace with string!

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see Poppa finding things to occupy his time with...Hee!
    Loving the silly socks!
    What is Auntie Colleen doing with all this lace?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That villa will never be cleaner than when you leave it. hee.
    Yes, the silly socks are fun!
    The lace is beyond gorgeous. Annie, look at your wedding card from your Mom and guess what I'm doing with the lace *g*.

    ReplyDelete