Friday, September 2, 2011

What's Poppa Been Up To?

Before we get into what Poppa has been doing - I wanted to show you this Picture of the Day from Uncle Shaun's camera.
Here is what Auntie Colleen said about this photo......
"I found this awesome shot of a spiderweb just jumping from the screen. The artistry in that web is stunning. I read that a web only lasts for a day and the spider remakes it every morning. If that is so, this has to be the Michelangelo of spiders."


I found myself wondering if this was an inspiration long, long ago to the creative person who invented crocheting and/or tatting to make doilies - there is a certain similarity.  Perhaps I noticed because I so recently finished off that little doilie I knitted (see previous post).


One more thing before I get to Poppa and his projects.  Does anyone know what this is?
Need a hint?  The sign says "DANGER DUE TO DEMOLITION".  Need more?  Okay - here you go.
This is another angle - you can see the heavy equipment in there.  They had stopped for the weekend, so I could take these pictures while the equipment was stationery.  Still don't know where it is?  Here is your final clue.  Remember a while back, I posted pictures of an old city landmark that was beginning to fall down - and there had been a fire?  Well the city ordered the owners to demolish the building in its entirety...and this is the result.
And all that now remains is a pile of rubble and this sign.  Evidence of the changing landscapes of time  reshaping familiar sights and sites.  I wonder what will happen to this piece of property now!  Now?  Oh - what is Poppa doing now???
Let's see - it looks like he is at Great-Gramma's house.  What could he be doing there?  I decided to check it out again a while later....this is what I found....
...actually...he had enlisted my help and by this point he was just touching up some spots where the stain was a little lighter.  We re-stained the front steps and it looks really nice!


The donut shop was quite busy this morning with the long Labour Day weekend looming.....
.......there's Poppa standing in line.  The line got even longer after I shot this picture - right out the door!  But luckily Poppa got through with our breakfast snack...this morning we had....
...toasted, buttered ham and cheese tea biscuits - yummy!  Oh yes - Poppa had his mandatory coffee.  It made us think about little Munchie - who loves TimBits. Then on the way home I found another example of lace doilies in nature..
 .......Queen Anne's Lace has always been one of my favourite weeds!


Speaking of Munchie - I omitted this picture from my post about our babysitting visit there.  We arrived on the Sunday before Mommee returned to work.  Mommee and I took the little boys for a walk to the grocery store.  On the way there, Munchie decided he was quite tired of walking and took this unusual means of transportation.
Little Smiley seemed content to share his stroller with his big brother...and Munchie was content to ride in the baggage compartment and finish his cookie!  Poor Mommee was pushing that rather heavy stroller, but she didn't complain either!


But - what is Poppa doing now????



1 comment:

  1. I like your idea about spider webs and Queen Anne's Lace and later lace crochet and tatting creations!
    I knew where the sign was from right away. It's too depressing. Between the loss of the Sundial and the loss of the Ossawipi train cars, we are losing our heritage quickly in this city.
    Mum's steps look excellent. Nice job!
    The kids sharing the stroller made me smile.
    Whatever Poppa is doing, he seems to have great purpose.

    ReplyDelete