Friday, January 8, 2010

We're Here! (Chapter Two)

On the evening before we were due to move into the villa, we met the folks who own the villa.  They were here over the Christmas holidays - they come every year for Christmas.  Last year we mentioned that it would be fun to meet each other, so this year we got in touch and arranged to go out for dinner.  What lovely people they are!  They live in Great Britain, have appropriate accents, and speak very quickly.  They were almost as I had pictured them all these years, while we communicated via the internet.  What a pleasure it was to meet them and their children, and we had an extremely pleasant evening.  Saturday morning they had to head off to the airport to return home, so we parted fairly early and hope to see them again next year.

While the villa was being cleaned after their departure, we drove over to Winter Haven to go shopping at Macy's.  The spring fashions were not out yet, and believe it or not, I didn't find anything there to buy.  By the time we were finished there, it was time to come to the villa.  We unpacked the car, and by the time we had that accomplished the bears had already turned on the TV and made themselves at home.

While we were on the road, I finished the socks I had been working on for Kev-Inn.


This is Austermann Step Sock Yarn.  I absolutely love the finished product.  I have a few more skeins of this yarn in other colours..........I will post pics soon, so anyone wanting socks can pick their favourite colours.........YARN ALERT!   First come, first serve...........so watch for pics!  I also finished the pair I had been working on for Mommee.


These had been the "car project" for such a long time, that I can't even remember now what kind of yarn they were.  I think the brown came from KnitPicks, but I'm not really even sure of that.  And, I ran out of the brown yarn before I got the second toe finished, so Mommee got one wonky sock!  I showed them to her last weekend while she was chatting with me via MSN Messenger and she said she liked the wonky toe (Whew!).  Poppa and I also got to see our little Munchkin.......I sure do miss them all.  Mommee sent me an e-mail today with the cutest story ever about our little Munchkin...it went something like this........{Quote}I know Munchkin is feeling a little bit of cabin fever lately.Last Sunday, it was really cold, so I didn’t bring him out for our usual walk to the grocery store (I think it was -20˚C with the windchill).
He brought me his shoes and held onto the coffee table, then stuck out one foot, so I would put his shoes on. Then he found his coat in the bag that I give to Meg, and brought it to me and stuck out an arm. After only one arm was in the coat he proceeded to walk to the door and pull on the knob. I brought him for a walk in the hallway, and he begrudgingly came back in the apt. after awhile. {End Quote}.  Isn't that priceless.  Not only is he developing his own wants and likes, he is learning very adeptly to communicate them to his parents.  What a doll!

Back to the present!  Finally, while we were still on the road, I also started the first pair of socks that Auntie Colleen had picked from the photo of the last batch of yarn I posted.


This yarn is 5th Avenue Funky Sock Yarn.  I hadn't used it before.  It is acrylic and nylon, so should wear longer and keep its shape better than some of the wool yarns.  Hopefully Auntie Colleen will let me know how she likes it.  It was nice to work with and feels verrrry soft to the touch.

However, I digress.  Once we were established in the villa we went out on a grocery quest and came back with enough food for at least a couple of weeks, except of course the basics like bread and milk.  Fortunately for us, the owners had left some of each of those and a few other things in the fridge, so we were all set for a while.  And when the groceries were all stowed away, I set up Computer Central, so I could communicate with everyone who had been waiting for us to arrive.


I sure do hope we don't need to use the dining room table for a while!  Hee!

2 comments: